Director: Ms Veno Kauaria
Contact: (+264) 61 293 3181 (Private Secretary)
The Namibia Library and Archives Service (NLAS) act as a central agency for the implementation of National and International standards relating to Library and Information work. Its purpose is to secure equal access to knowledge and information for lifelong learning by creating and maintaining professional expertise and nationwide network of libraries/information centers.
The directorate has five divisions namely:
Community Library Service (CLS)
The Community Library Service (CLS) has a mandate to facilitate the development of information and computer literacy skills through community libraries.
- Ensure that citizens have access to all sorts of information in all formats, (including Braille and audio books for visually impaired).
- Set standards to support oral tradition and indigenous knowledge, provide facilities to support individual and self-conducted education (Open Distance Learning) as well as formal education at all levels.
- Facilitate the establishment of new community libraries, monitor and evaluate all library activities countrywide. Centrally procure, process (cataloguing and classification), distribute library materials, collect and compile national statistics. Identify training needs and facilitate the training.
- Assist with ICT deployment to all community libraries in Namibia and train all staff to be able to train community members.
- Create and maintain the National community library catalogue.
Education Library Service (ELS)
The Education Library Service (ELS) supports the school curriculum, by providing instructional information resources, teach skills in how to access and retrieve information for lifelong learning.
ELS help develop and sustain in children the habit and enjoyment of reading and proper use of information; assist more than 1740 schools around the country in developing functional school libraries by providing effective and adequate access to resources in all schools in order to teach learners the necessary skills to become independent users of information. ELS centrally procure, catalogue, classify and maintains the national school Library catalogue. In addition, ELS train teachers in Basic Information Science.
Ministerial Library Service (MLS)
The Ministerial Library Service (MLS) provides professional expertise to supervise, support and coordinate special library and information services in government.
The main goal of ministerial libraries is provide technical and scientific information to decision-makers, researchers, students, business community, technicians and other professionals covering needs and services on key areas of the national economy.
National Library of Namibia (NLN)
The National Library of Namibia (NLN)supports education and research through access to national and international information resources, and collects and preserves the nation’s published intellectual heritage through legal deposit and book purchases. It also renders bibliographic services and serves as the national bibliographic agency e.g. facilitating the allocation of ISSN and ISBN to individuals and publishers/producers.
National Archives of Namibia (NAN)
The National Archives of Namibia (NAN) maintains the institutional memory of government ministries, offices and agencies; collects and preserves the nation’s history and unpublished documentary heritage; and supports education and research by providing access to these resources.
NAN is also mandated to supervise and provide training in records management in all Government offices, Ministries and Agencies as well as parastatals.